OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL OF SATURDAY JULY 16 2022
By Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye
TOPIC: WHATSOEVER THINGS ARE OF VIRTUE
For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee. Proverbs 23:7
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
21. Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
22. But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
23. For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
24. For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
25. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
One age-old trick that the devil has been using to get people to commit sin is to put thoughts and imaginations of sin in their minds. The more a person thinks about a sinful act, the closer he or she gets to committing the sin in reality. This is why the Bible says that we should only think of things that are of virtue.Virtue refers to good behaviour. If you keep imagining yourself misbehaving and doing things that are contrary to the will of God, you are likely to end up doing those things in reality. You are therefore to guide your heart with all diligence and ensure that things that have no virtue do not stay there.
If you have been having thoughts of committing adultery, stealing some money from your workplace and so on, kill those thoughts immediately. Every time the devil comes to whisper sinful thoughts in your ears, say, Get thee behind me Satan and then replace the sinful thoughts with virtuous ones.
Other ways through which the devil brings thoughts that have no virtue into our minds are through the television programmes we watch, the conversations we have with friends and colleagues, and the kinds of music we listen to. When you expose your mind to television shows that promote perversion or things that have no virtue, your mind will naturally think about those things and soon, you would find yourself acting them out. That is why 1Corinthians 15:33 says Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.Some virtuous thoughts you should entertain include:-
The word of God. In fact, Joshua 1:8 says you should meditate on the word of God day and night. In other words, let the word of God occupy your mind all the time.
David said Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee (Psalms 119:11).
If you memorise Gods word and meditate on it day and night, you will not sin against Him. The virtue in His word will keep you from falling into sin.
– How to win souls to the Kingdom of God.
– What to do to advance His Kingdom here on earth.As you think, so you will become (Proverbs 23:7).
Dont think or imagine yourself doing anything bad. Always imagine yourself doing good things and acting according to the will of God.
Bible in One year:
1. Nearer, my God to Thee, Nearer to Thee; E’en though it be a cross That raiseth me, Still all my song shall be, Nearer, my God, to Thee, (2ce) Nearer to Thee!
2. Though, like the wanderer, The sun gone down, Darkness be over me, My rest a stone, Yet in my dreams I’d be Nearer, my God, to Thee, (2ce) Nearer to Thee
3. There let the way appear Steps unto heaven; All that Thou send’st to me In mercy given; Angels to beckon me Nearer, my God, to Thee, (2ce) Nearer to Thee
4. Then with my waking thoughts bright with thy praise, out of my stony grief bethel I’ll raise; so by my woes to be nearer, my God to thee, (2ce) nearer to thee!
5. Or if on joyful wing cleaving thy sky, sun, moon, and stars forgot, upwards I fly still all my songs shall be nearer my God to thee, (2ce) nearer to thee